Why should I buy a free standing hammock?
When you lay your eyes on a free standing hammock, you immediately think of rest and relaxation. Having such a special resting place in your backyard, balcony or bedroom can bring you many wonderful moments. These products are specifically designed to give you an opportunity to fully relax without straining your back or looking for a way to make your head feel comfortable. They allow your body to take a natural shape, just like a fetus in a womb. Such position can be wonderful for sleeping and resting.
Hammocks come in a variety of sizes, types, and materials. An independently standing unit can be a great advantage for people who don’t have conveniently standing trees or poles to tie it to. You can install it anywhere in your yard or take it with you on a trip. Not all such models are created equal. You need to learn a few things before making a purchase.
Free Standing Hammock Benefits
- Sleeping comfort. Your body doesn’t apply pressure on your internal organs, which allows you to sleep comfortably. Meanwhile, you are feeling fully supported and safe inside.
- Stress reliever. The hammock sways slightly, which allows you to relax easily and fall asleep faster. The swaying in your sleep or when resting brings you maximum relaxation.
- Improves sleep. Some studies show that sleep in a swaying bed is much deeper than on a regular one. People who suffer from disrupted sleep often forget about waking up in the middle of the night.
- Moderate price tag. People with sleep problems are often ready to spend a fortune on a perfect bed. Special sheets, mattresses, and pillows may cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Meanwhile, a swinging bed is affordable.
- Health improvement. Even though some units can be installed inside your home, most of them are a good choice for outdoor sleeping. Sleeping under the stars is beneficial for your health.
- Hassle free. You don’t have to worry about making your bed. What a nice bonus!
The Best Models
1. Vivere Double Hammock with Space-Saving Steel Stand, Tropical
This is a durable Brazilian-style model suitable for both outdoor and indoor use. The steel stand with special coating makes this unit weather resistant. The double-layered fabric improves the durability and accommodates two adults. The model comes in bright rainbow colors. You can choose from cotton, polyester, and Sunbrella fabrics.
- Durable fabric and stand
- Comes with a carrying bag
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor use
- Lightweight (about 30 lbs.)
- Requires a lot of space
- Not suitable for two big sized adults
2. Best ChoiceProducts Double Hammock
This Brazilian model comes in three different patterns. It’s made out of sturdy 100 % cotton and can accommodate up to 450 lbs. The hammock is easy to transport and store. It fits into the provided carrying case, so you can take it on the road. The stand is made out of weather-resistant resin steel. The unit takes under 10 minutes to set up.
- Made from durable natural cotton
- Comes with a carrying case
- Can accommodate two adults
- Easy to assemble and transport
- Can be hard to get out of
- Assembly directions are unclear
3. Sunnydaze Desert Stripe Cotton Rope Hammock
This rope unit comes with a simple and lightweight steel stand. It’s easy to put together. The model is designed for both indoor and outdoor use. It comes with a sleeping pad and pillow, which are made out of polyester. The model can accommodate 275 lbs. but can’t fit more than one adult. The model is lightweight (36 lbs.) and can be easy to store and transport.
- No tools required to assemble
- The stand is suitable for other hammocks
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
- Durable materials
- Suitable for just 1 adult
4. Jumbo Caribbean Hammock
This large Caribbean model is extremely versatile. It’s made out of sturdy materials that can withstand the hot, cold, and rainy weather. It can hold up to 600 lbs. and accommodate two or more adults. The stand is made out of stainless steel. The bed is soft spun polyester, which is weather resistant and nice to the touch.
- Impressive durability
- Very lightweight (about 20 lbs.)
- Suitable for indoors and outdoors
- Accommodates more than 2 people
- Hefty price tag
- Very stretchy
5. Petra Leisure 14 Ft. Wooden Arc + Quilted Bed Hammock
This quilted model is nicely designed and comes with a wooden stand, which keeps the unit close to the ground. The quilted double bed is nice to the touch and comfortable to sleep on. The unit can accommodate up to 450 lbs.
- Beautiful design
- Natural materials
- Can fit two adults
- Easy to install
- High price
- Not transportable
Choosing the best free standing hammock is easy when you know a few important pointers. While all the above models have some cons, all of them can become a wonderful choice for sleeping at home, yard, patio, balcony or camping site.
What To Consider When Buying A Free Standing Unit
Here are a few things you need to pay attention to before making the purchase.
The material can vary from model to model. There are three common choices.
- Cotton – The softest fabric, which feels most comfortable to the body. It’s easy to wash and comes in a variety of colors. However, cotton is not weather-resistant and prone to mold and mildew.
- Nylon – This material is wonderful for camping. It’s lightweight and dries very fast.
- Polyester – This is a durable material, which is ready to withstand anything the weather can throw at it. It’s easy to clean and very soft to the touch. However, polyester is not breathable and can be uncomfortable to sleep in hot weather.
The stand material is important for the durability and transportability of your swinging bed. Depending on your weight and preferences, you should make a smart approach to the stand material. The two common materials are steel and wood.
- Steel is highly durable and lightweight. It can be a good choice for travel since it’s weather resistant.
- Wood is just as durable but needs special treatment in order to withstand the weather. Wood is often more pleasing to the eye and, as a natural material may feel more comfortable.
Depending on the locations you are planning to use the unit as well as the number of users, you should consider the size. Hammocks come in a variety of sizes, from small and compact to jumbo. Think about the people that you want to share the bed with. Sometimes, it’s smarter to buy one big model instead of two smaller ones.
Are you planning to install the unit in one place and leave it there for years? Or are you thinking of taking it on a camping trip? Perhaps you’ll need to move it every time it rains? Consider these questions when choosing a suitable model. If you are thinking of moving it around or storing it in a closet, you should look for a compact version with a foldable or easy demountable stand.
There is a big variety of models to choose from. Here are a few types for you to consider.
- Mayan – Don’t have spreader bars. Handmade by artisans from cotton or nylon. They usually come in bright patterns.
- Brazilian – Don’t have spreader bars. They feature thick cotton weave and are suitable for colder weather. These models are made from 100 % cotton.
- Nicaraguan – Don’t have spreader bars. The cotton is tightly woven and twice layered. They provide perfect air circulation but can’t withstand a rainy weather.
- Rope – Feature spreader bar. These models can be made out of natural cotton, hemp, nylon or polyester. These classic units are a big hit around the world. They offer more stretch room than other fabric models. It’s easy to get in and out. This model provides excellent air circulation and can be great for hot weather.
- Camping – These models are usually lightweight and compact. They are made out of nylon or polyester, which are weather resistant. Some have special mosquito guards. Some camping models are made like a tent to provide weather and wildlife protection.
The price tag of hammocks with stands can vary greatly depending on the materials and the size. In order not to pay more than necessary, ask yourself the following questions:
- How often will I use the unit?
- Where will I use it (indoors or outdoors)?
- How many people should it accommodate?
- What material feels nice to sleep in?
- What stand material is suitable for me?
If you are not planning to use the hammock outside then you don’t have to worry about weather resistance of the material and the stand and spend less. If you are buying a unit just for yourself, you can choose a compact size to save money.